Ulli Vada is the simplest and the easiest to prepare snack in the wide varieties of vada category. The fried onions makes it one of the tastiest snack and my favourite since childhood. It is similar to Pyaj Pakoda, which is a snack of North India. It is a famous and very simple tea-time snack in Kerala, which can be done within 10 minutes. Along with a cup of hot tea or coffee, we can tell it is a perfect & nice evening. Try it and comment.
1. Gram flour (Besan) – 1 ½ cups
2. Rice flour – ½ cup
3. Onions – 3-4nos., thinly sliced
4. Ginger – 1 tbsp., minced
5. Green chilies – 2-3nos., chopped
6. Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
7. Curry leaves – 1-2 sprig
8. Salt – to taste
9. Oil – enough for deep frying
1. Combine all the ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl and mix properly with hands. Add water in little quantity and keep mixing the batter. Make batter of semi-thick consistency.
2. In a medium size pan, take oil enough to deep frying and heat it. When the oil is hot, deep fry the batter (each of a handful quantity giving a round shape of vada) in oil at medium flame till turns golden brown on both sides. Let it get crisp and brown. (N.B: Take care not to get it burned)
3. Serve Crispy Kerala Ulli vada with Sauce or Ketchup as snack along with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Note:- Even you can use Maida Flour if gram flour and rice flour are available. But should add a pinch of baking powder and have to leave it for an hour to become soft.